Search This Blog

Friday, August 31, 2012

Just as in the States, September is the month that starts afresh.  Here, summer isn't bracketed by Memorial Day in May and Labor Day in September but simply by months.  Summer starts in June and ends when the kids go back to school the first weekday in September.  It's not that there aren't holidays here, they just don't commemorate anything in particular, most are just called "bank holidays" and those are days when most everything but retail is closed.  It rains buckets on most bank holidays. I didn't post as I usually do yesterday (Friday) because I wanted to start afresh too, so here I am on September 1 at 4:38 a.m.

I'm excited to start this month because there are lots of new things on the calendar.  The thing I'm most excited about is starting set dancing classes.  I've identified two places that offer classes and it looks like so much fun -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj13osgy2M0 .  One starts on Monday the 12th and the other on the 16th.  I remember my mother and father's fond memories of their early days when he played accordion and she danced.  In later years she kept up in the States in a square dance group and you can see from the video that, except for the caller in square dance, set dancing is very similar.  I was inspired to do this by seeing set dancers in a pub during our trip to Dingle last week and set about finding a place for classes.  Although he has agreed to start square dancing when we get back to the States, Alan is going to pass on set dancing but, like with most dance, women are more prevalent anyway and it's acceptable for women to partner in it.  I'm delighted that my friend Mary says she'd like to come along, so I'll have a partner to begin. 

There are also two new networking groups I will be attending with monthly meetings beginning in September after a summer hiatus, Democrats Abroad and American Women in Ireland.  Since the election is coming up so quickly, there will be lots to do in the former, starting with the President's acceptance speech at the convention on September 7th.  The latter seems like a group I was involved in during my time in Milwaukee but I'm hoping not so cliquish since it should be more fluid, with people coming in and out as they arrive in the country.  The group in Milwaukee was not that dynamic since people tended to be from and stay in that city for their whole lifetime. 

After parting with our friends in Dingle last Saturday, Alan and I returned home to catch up on maintenance; lots of laundry, shopping and cleaning.  We did take a break on Tuesday and saw the movie Shadow Dancer which was quite good.  Then on Wednesday morning I met friends at the Irish Film Institute (IFI) for the monthly "Strawberry Club" outing for seniors.  We saw the 2009 movie Welcome to the Riley's with James Gandolfini. IFI is very similar to the American Film Institute (AFI) with special deals for members and this Strawberry Club is one they put on each month for the over 55 set.  It's just great because for 3.50 Euro (about $5) you get a movie that you wouldn't otherwise see and a coffee.  The last several times I've done it, I've met friends and had lunch afterward.  A lot of fun.

Our U.S. friends returned from their continued travels in the west of Ireland on Wednesday evening and we had a nice dinner in and heard the story of their travels.  The story of Sheila, the compulsive B&B operator at the Cliffs of Moher was hysterical. They left early on Thursday morning for the trip back to Madison, WI. 

It was such fun hosting them and we are looking forward to a lot more visits in the next two months.  In addition to great company, this couple brought a big bottle of aspirin tablets.  For some reason you can't get that here, aspirin only comes in effervescent tablets in a box of 12.  Our next guests, Alan's sister and her husband (or as Alan's much beloved mother called "Margenes", just and Alan and I were "Alans"), are bringing ice cube trays, the kind that makes big cubes, another thing that is not available in Ireland.  We've got a list of such items so those of you getting ready for your trip here be warned!

Today we are going to a tailgate party for the Notre Dame/Navy football game that is to be played here in Dublin at the Emerald Island Classic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Isle_Classic  .  I'm not much of a football fan so I don't expect to last for the whole thing, but Alan will likely stay till the bitter end.  Since they are Hoosiers AND "The Fighting Irish", we're both rooting for Notre Dame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment